- 1/2 table-spoon sugar, dissolved in a little hot water
- 1 wine-glass Scotch whisky
- Set the liquid on fire, and, while blazing,
- Pour 3 or 4 times from one mug into another
- This will give the appearance of a stream of liquid fire
- Twist a piece of lemon peel on top with
- A little grated nutmeg, and
As this preparation requires skill, it is quite requisite that the amateur should practice with cold water at first.
Stuart’s Fancy Drinks by Thos. Stuart, 1896
Note from Lost Cocktails: Make this cocktail at your own peril. I thought it was interesting that the author suggested practicing with cold water.