Described as one of Leo’s Specialties, bartender at the Criterion Bar in London.
- Use tumbler.
- One tea-spoonful of Angostura bitters
- Two tea-spoonfuls of orange Curaçao
- One tea-spoonful of white sugar
- One tea-spoonful of lemon juice
- Half a wine glass of brandy
- Shake up well with fine ice and
- Strain in a claret glass
American & Other Drinks by Leo Engel, 1878
In the first Sherlock Holmes story, “A Study in Scarlet,” Dr. Watson is told of his prospective roommate after he meets a friend at the Criterion, “I was standing at the Criterion Bar, when some one tapped me on the shoulder, and turning round I recognized young Stamford, who had been a dresser under me at Barts.”